What is Radiesse?
Radiesse is an FDA-approved injectable filler used to treat moderate to severe facial wrinkles and
smooth marionette lines around the mouth. It can also be used to correct volume loss in the back of the hands.
In many patients, results can last a year or more.
Some common areas treated with Radiesse include:
- Add Volume to hollowing temples
- Non-surgical nose reshaping
- Lift and contour cheeks
- Smooth nasolabial folds
- Define jawline
- Smooth marionette lines around mouth and chin
- Volumize jowls
- Back of hands
The Radiesse Procedure
- The Radiesse procedure is performed in the doctor’s office.
- It is most often performed with local anesthesia.
- Patients may experience minimal discomfort from the needle injection.
- Depending upon the extent of treatment, the procedure can take up to 15 minutes.
- Patients return home within minutes after the procedure.
The procedure involves injecting a compound of calcium hydroxyl apatite microspheres that are suspended in a carboxymethylcellulose gel.The gel contains an organic compound of carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen, as well as glycerin and sterile water.
- Step One: The doctor may select one or more injection points for each location to be treated. Antiseptic is also applied.
- Step Two: The doctor will identify the correct amount of Radiesse for the procedure.
- Step Three: The Radiesse filler is then injected beneath the skin, under the dermis and subcutis layer.
Results are fully evident within one week.
Radiesse can last two years or more, but touchups may be necessary throughout this time period. The injectable gel contains crystals called micro-beads that stimulate natural collagen growth. Because the crystals stimulate collagen to grow around them, the effect is soft and natural.